[ article ]
||Repairing Inflatable Tubes - Hypalon|
Hypalon Tube Fabric
If the damage to your tube is more than 75mm in any direction an inside patch needs to be applied. The procedure is the same as for an Outside Patch but is made more difficult because you are working on the inside of the tube.
2.. Sand down the surface on the patch and the inside of the tube. The top surface needs to be sanded to a matt finish, the back surface is sanded until the surface starts to break up and looks like suede. Wipe the surface of the patch and the tube that is going to have the adhesive on with the P510 solvent. Allow the solvent to flash off. If you apply the adhesive to soon it will bloom (turn slightly white) the adhesive will need to be removed and new adhesive will have to be applied.
3. Mix half of the adhesive (2990 two part adhesive) as directed on the tin. Brush onto the surface thinly, the surface should look wet. Allow the adhesive to dry for at least 30 minutes.
4. Brush on a second coat of adhesive on both surfaces. Leave to dry for 15 minutes. With the inside patch lay a piece of polythene onto the adhesive, so it can be rolled up and put through the hole. Place inside the tube and put into position, remove polythene. Work one side down with your knife handle, pressing hard. then work the other side. Work from the middle to the outside of the patch. You must make sure that there is no air trapped between the surfaces. Please note:- the adhesive is a contact type, as soon as it touches the other surface it will stick. Make sure that the patch is in the correct position before the surfaces come into contact.
5. Leave to dry for at least six hours.
6. When dry pump up the chamber and check for air leaks. The inside patch must be practically air tight.
8. Sand down the surface on the patch and the inside of the tube. The top surface needs to be sanded to a matt finish, the back surface is sanded until the surface starts to break up and looks like suede. Wipe with the solvent. Mix the rest of the adhesive. Apply first coat of adhesive,leave for 30 minutes, apply second coat of adhesive. Leave for 15 minutes.
9. Put down the patch and rub down from the centre out with your knife handle. Check that all the edges are stuck down. You must make sure that there is no air trapped between the surfaces. Remove the tape and rub off any excess adhesive. If the adhesive is left on it will turn brown.
10.Leave to dry for at least six hours before putting pressure in